Nonna's Secret Sauce
What's Alessandra's favorite meal? You guessed it...Pasta! Any time. Any kind. Anywhere. Her key ingredients for entertaining always include pasta, a sense of humor, and dimmers & candles.
Everything you see I owe to spaghetti.
✤ Nonna's Secret Sauce ✤
✤ The Steps ✤
1. Fill the bottom of a medium-sized saucepan with a layer of olive oil. Add 4 garlic cloves to the oil and sauté on medium-high until golden brown on all sides. Promptly add tomato sauce followed by a handful of basil leaves to the pan and cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Lower heat to medium-low and allow to simmer, covered, for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sauce can simmer for up to 1 hr. After simmering, remove sauce from heat and add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste.
3. While the tomatoes are simmering, prepare the ground beef. Mix, knead, and season the meat with salt & pepper. Fill the bottom of a second medium-sized saucepan with a layer of olive oil. Add 4 garlic cloves to the oil and sauté on medium-high heat until golden brown on all sides. Add chopped onions and cook until softened, 5-6 minutes.
4. Add meat in scoops and brown on all sides. Once browned, break apart the meat to reach desired size/texture. Lower heat and simmer until meat is cooked through.
5. In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil and cook pasta to al-dente perfection. Strain the pasta, keeping a cup of the pasta water. Add 1/2 cup pasta water to the tomato sauce. Mix tomato sauce and meat together.
6. Serve sauce over pasta with grated Parmesan and garnish with basil leaves. Buon appetito!
✤ Nonna's Tips ✤
Add a tiny amount of sugar or sweetener to balance any bitterness. Allow meat to reach room temperature. For a creamier sauce, add a tablespoon of Mascarpone and grated Parmesan.
More from the Giornale
Artist Highlight: Katie Brickman
Giant grids with colorful circles make formal living rooms more comfortable - and a little more fun! Katie Brickman Powell paints bold shapes in bright colors on white...
The Serenity of Blue & Green
Design inspiration can strike from anywhere — nature, fashion, and art are all fair game. But sometimes all it takes is one perfect color c...
Year in Review
Our collections—and the teams behind them—continue to grow. Highlights from this year included: the launch of our performance collection,
A Warm Welcome
Fresh with inspiration from our newest collection (Primavera, coming Early 2023), we've redesigned our Palm Beach loc...